Thursday, June 28, 2007

Lights to the Soul

There have been a lot of painful experiences going on in lives around us. I understand that pain is part of this life, and that we can't avoid it.
* A friend of ours, a financial officer for a worldwide ministry, had one of the employees that worked for him brutally murdered in the parking lot of their workplace yesterday morning. She was a single Christian woman with two daughters and was caring for her mother.
* Another friend of ours has a friend with breast cancer. (Also a Christian.) The lady had major surgery this past Monday. She is now recovering and awaiting pathology reports. She will have to start chemotherapy in a couple months.
* Another friend of ours knows a lady who lost her 10 month old baby.
* A lady my wife has worked with lost a son this past week. (Also a Christian.) Not sure from what or how old he was.
* We know several Christians with physical afflictions of some sort or another and with varying degrees of pain; some are pretty extreme. Some have had knee surgeries, some ankle surgeries...

Jesus did not promise us that this life would be free from all pain just because we chose to follow Him. Rather, He told us that we would encounter pain and difficulties; then we are to count it all joy. That we are to persevere through these trials. That is no small order.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
I saw a picture of a friend the other day and was reminded of something I've read in scripture: That the eyes are the lamp (or light) to the soul.
The person in the picture is a Christian and it was a wonderful picture of that person.
But behind the smile, the eyes reveal years of hurt and pain. I had to stop and pray for this one, and it has been heavy on my heart since.

Father God, You know the plans You have for us and Your Word says that Your plans are for good, not for evil. We live in a sinful, fallen world and we are affected day after day by those around us; some believers, some not. Only Your mercy and grace extended to us allows us to carry on and still have hope. We cannot hope in ourselves nor can we hope in even those close to us whom we love and care about. We can only place our hope in You, the Sovereign King of all Creation. Lord I pray for these around us that are enduring such difficulties and pain and I humbly ask that You would send Your ministering angels to them and Your Holy Spirit to comfort them in their hours of distress. Thank You precious Lord Jesus for interceding for each of these and for us before our Father in heaven in the perfect way that only You can do. I love You Lord and I continue to place my trust in You especially in the midst of these times in which I am not able to understand or comprehend Your purpose and plan.
I would also ask for my friend in the picture, that You will heal the scars of the deepest hurts and pains of heart that this person bears. I know that Your will and desire to do so and You will accomplish it in Your perfect time.
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Lord, I agree with David. And I especially lift up to you this one who was murdered, a single mom ... cover her daughters and her mother, Lord, in a way that only You know of and can ... I do not know what to ask for them, but You do, so I let the Holy Spirit intercede for me for these ... and the boss ... and the other employees. Oh, Lord! I cannot imagine nor do I understand such evil! I know You have said Satan in the prince of this world, but somethings are SO hard for me to understand, and this is one of them. Cover David and Kerry as they stand with their friend, with their many friends, during these trying days. Thank You for lifting them up to intercede on behalf of so many who need You so desperately. Cover this family who lost their son ... and the family here whose middle school son drowned in the rising flood waters. Holy God, I do not understand such tragedy and loss. It is beyond me. So I release it all to You. Cover all of these who need You. I love You, God, Ame

David - thank you for your comments. Yes, he desperately needs the healing of God. These cycles addicts get in are so deceitful. When they're in their "good" place they are deceived into thinking they need nothing else, that they are fine ... then they fall, hard, but the cycle continues and they get to the good place again. Breaking the cycle is SOOO hard. I know. I will struggle with breaking the cycles of addiction and abuse from my parents and lineage for the rest of my life. I pray that once broken, my girls will walk across the bridge of brokenness in pure freedom ... and my grandchildren ... and my great grand children ... and my .......