Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Overdue Update

My last post was about mountain biking and I mentioned that I would add a post after racing... and no it didn't actually take me this long to recover, things have just been busy.
The picture in the previous post was NOT me. The picture on the right IS me (and a longtime friend of ours on the right), waiting, and waiting, and waiting... for the race to begin. I was hoping to finish in about an hour and my time was 1:06:41, so I was pretty pleased. I had fun and I learned from the experience. Now I'm thinking about trying another race next month that will be longer and have more climbing and more descending.

My wonderful wife and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary last Friday and we took a little trip up to Estes Park, CO (a town NE of Boulder) and then and stayed in a nice little bed and breakfast called Mountain Shadows B&B. I got a cabin for us called 'Sweethearts Forever'. Pretty romantic. We had a wonderful couple days and spent time talking and laughing and remembering what life is like as a couple rather than as a couple parents. Thursday afternoon we shopped all the little shops in Estes Park. Friday we went for about a six mile hike to a lake in Rocky Mountain National Park (see also link2 and link3). We had a rain storm blow over so we found refuge in a cave under a big boulder with a retired couple from Durango, CO. So we just sat tight and visited with them until the storm blew past. What a kick! After we got back to the car we took a drive up to the top of the world; well at least it seems like the top of the world. The road is named Trail Ridge Road and it winds along for several miles along the tops of a couple high mountains well above timber line (no trees grow there) and the views are spectacular.
Down the west side of the park we saw large bachelor groups of bull elk. See the animals behind my wife in the picture. Too cool!
And finally, a little further along, we had the awesome treat of viewing a cow moose with her calf... from a distance of course. Thank goodness for telephoto lenses! Mama moose looks like she endured a hard winter carrying baby. God knows what she needs and we're praying she will regain her strength.

So, summertime is upon us and we are busy having fun and enjoying the creation God has blessed us with.

Peace to you all in Christ Jesus our Lord!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so impressed with the bike race! and kerry is BEAUTIFUL!!!

what a wonderful anniversary ... to spend time alone together ... good for you!

love the wildlife pics, too ... a momma and her baby ... i'll have to remember to come back and show my girls when they come home ... they are so into babies!!!!!!!

Chris Krycho said...

Awesome pictures! The moose are so cool. (I'm having memories of our seeing, and then tracking, a moose when we went camping a couple years ago. That was fun!) I'm glad you're back at blogging. :)