Monday, June 11, 2007

This Should Be Interesting

The bug has bitten me and the poison has messed up my brain.
I must be totally sick. I've gone and registered to ride in a mountain bike race this coming Saturday. It just seems like it will be a fun adventure. I want to know if I can do it; If I can finish the race. I don't have any pretentious thoughts about winning. I'd be more than surprised if I did. But I'm going to go out and give it my best shot.

The whole biking thing started as a way to try to improve fitness and now I am pushing myself a step further. Curiosity has now gotten the better of me and it is time to test myself to see what and how I can do. For me it will be just between me, the bike, and the mountain course. Seven and a half miles doesn't sound like far, but try climbing a thousand feet up a mountain on a bicycle at an altitude of 10,000 feet. It can be a bit of a challenge.
Since it will be my first ever race, I have signed up for the beginner level at my age grouping (40-45). Ten guys entered this race for this age group last year and the time it took ranged from just under 55 minutes to an hour and 55 minutes, with the average being around an hour.
For those of you who might be curious about this endeavor you can click this link to take a look at the website. It will be Race 2.
Pending my survival of this Epic SingleTrack experience, I'll post about the adventure, what I've learned from it, and whether I'll try such a thing ever again. ;)
And for some amusing reading check out the biker slang page.
I'm going to try to bomb it and hopefully I'll avoid the balance blackout and not come home with bacon on the arms and legs.

No comments: