Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Re-reading James

The morning after my last post I went back to the book of James and read the first chapter again.
The Holy Spirit has a wonderful way of highlighting the things we need to see.

James 1:19-21 (Amplified Bible)

19Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry.

20For man's anger does not promote the righteousness God [wishes and requires].

21So get rid of all uncleanness and the rampant outgrowth of wickedness, and in a humble (gentle, modest) spirit receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted [in your hearts] contains the power to save your souls.

This has been echoing around inside me since I reread it.
I so easily get frustrated and angry with myself and with the church, when it seems that we miss the calling so obviously. Yet, it isn't always obvious. And my anger and frustration absolutely will not, and indeed cannot produce or promote the righteousness of God.
Thank God for His Spirit to convict me and remind me that there is always more to every circumstance than I can see, but there is never more to any circumstance than He can see.

I know there are those out there that have needs that need to be met, and I know God knows who He wants to meet those needs. I pray when it is for me to do, I am attentive to the prompting of the Spirit.

I read somewhat recently in My Utmost for His Highest that Jesus never gives up on us, therefore how could I dare to give up on anyone or cease hoping and praying for the breakthroughs in peoples lives that are so needed (paraphrased).
With God ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

1 comment:

Ame said...

It is a hard place, isn't it. The church is a group of humanity just like me. I am as guilty as the next person. It's hard, though, to see others hurting and not be able to help them. There are churches and people who need a wake up call, but our anger will never achieve the righteousness of God ;).