Sunday, December 2, 2007

Remembrance

The sermon our pastor brought last Sunday (11/25) was about being a remembrancer.
It was a reminder that we are to remember that which God has given us and that we have a testimony in establishing that which He has done in us and for us.

I spent a good amount of time this week thinking back over much that He has brought me (us) through in these years that I've known Him. (I use the term known very loosely, because I know that I still have much to learn to know my God.) That He knows me, I have no question. How well I know the Living God, well I must take from His word to answer that:
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 1 Corinthians 13:12 (NIV)

I remembered back to when I was a 16 year-old in my room asking God for a sign to show me He was real. That evening He provided for me a sign that was specifically what He knew I needed. Oh how God knows us and our individual needs (I consider how Jesus appeared to Thomas). God revealed Himself to me the way I needed in that moment at that time. He had His hand on me before I came to know what a wonderful savior He is; He has lead me and guided me since.
Many more things I remembered and all those things point to His absolute faithfulness to bring me through. There are so many times that I didn't understand and I wasn't able to see how His hand was at work. He has delivered me from my ugly and utterly detestable failures; from the sin I could not deserve to be delivered from. He has healed hurts. He has spared my life, my marriage, and my family and allowed me to be called his child, a son of the living God.

As King David said:
I sought the LORD, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4
For You have delivered my soul from death,Indeed my feet from stumbling,So that I may walk before God in the light of the living. Psalm 56:13
Deliver me from the mire and do not let me sink;May I be delivered from my foes and from the deep waters. Psalm 69:14
For Your lovingkindness toward me is great,And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. Psalm 86:13
Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble;He delivered them out of their distresses. Psalm 107:6
He sent His word and healed them,And delivered them from their destructions. Psalm 107:20
(All scriptures from the New American Standard Bible)

Lord, to You I give all glory, all honor, and all praise. You alone are worthy.

1 comment:

Chris Krycho said...

Huh... I just read this tonight, after I finished my own post. I love how the Spirit prompts us all in such similar ways. I love you. Thanks for sharing this.

hugs