Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Holy Words or Clumsy Fumbling?

Three names came to mind as I was considering and meditating on a recent circumstance:
El’iphaz the Te’manite, Bil’dad the Shu’hite, and Zo’phar the Na’amathite. At a glance one familiar with the bible would guess that these are biblical names, but for most I would venture to guess that it might take a little while to figure out where their historical place is.

What I have been considering is how quickly I tend form my own opinions about circumstances, either concerning myself, or things others I know are walking through. Then even more disturbing to me is how quick I am to speak concerning these things, supposing that I might have wisdom in it.

There is an oft quoted proverb attributed as an American Indian saying, “Do not criticize your neighbor until you have walked a mile in his moccasins.” I would assert that this could be extrapolated to a more biblical principle “that one (I) should not speak either good or bad about anything until one (I) has prayed and received God’s revelation and understanding”… which just may be never.

Coming back to El’iphaz, Bil’dad, and Zo’phar, these men supposed they could “help” their friend by offering their advice to him as he was enduring excruciatingly difficult physical, emotional, and spiritual duress. You probably recognize them now, yes, they were Job’s friends. Each one had thoughts concerning the things that Job was going through. Each one took it upon himself to offer their thoughts with the good intention of helping, counseling, and even consoling their friend through his difficult times, yet none had ever gone through difficulties even remotely similar to what Job faced. The Lord God later rebuked these men for speaking without having His eternal divine understanding.

Now this would seem to be an extreme, yet is it really any different when we start "expressing" our opinion or what we think to be right in ordinary things, when we have not considered first what God is saying about it, and secondly how what we express might affect those hearing. What we speak to one another needs to be that which edifies and builds up. Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord. Eph. 5:19

The point that God is driving home in me as I write this is this: I may have the best of intention when offering advice or even consolation, but I am most likely lacking in that which is most necessary: Holy Spirit given revelation. Without it I am useless, and furthermore to dare speak without it can be that which brings great destruction. See
James 3, but verse 5 specifically “So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!” (NASB).
I would rather say five words with my understanding and intelligently in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a [strange] tongue (language). 1 Cor. 14:19 AMP

I guess what I am really desiring to express is that I know for myself I need to be quiet with my mouth that I may take the time to listen. Truly listen to what God desires to be. Then that my speech will always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that I will know how I should respond to each person. --Colossians 4

Perhaps this conviction to me will bless someone else.

-- Living to be in His service.

1 comment:

Ame said...

thank you

this is excellent