Monday, May 21, 2007

Computer Problems Flushed

*** typed with a bit of a British accent ***
Well in li't of me last posting, me decided that flushing was mayhaps the option o' least resistance...
Unfortunately, me disposition dont take to such thin's lightly and me had to go on the 'ard way.
*** end of badly done accent ***

Yes, I managed to slog on through and purely by the grace of God, and one unnecessarily purchased hard drive later we have two computers back up and running. The operating system on Chris' machine was really messed up so after Chris spent two days copying files manually from a command prompt to a backup drive we reformatted the hard drive and completely reloaded WindowsXP from scratch and what seemed like piece parted it back together. It is up and running and probably running better than when we first got it from the manufacturer because it doesn't have all the extra fat and fluff on it (reference recent Mac vs PC commercial).

I spent a good portion of today working on my parents computer. I have had it for at least three weeks trying to find the time to get to it. They have Norton System works installed on it. I don't recommend it for people that are not computer savvy. The Anti-Virus stuff works pretty well, but the utilities can get you in trouble. Norton GoBack decided it wanted to keep going back, and go back, and go back... The error message would come up and say "NortonGoBack has detected that your system is unstable, rebooting." I figured out that the system was unstable alright, because GoBack was installed on it.
After buying a new hard drive to load the operating system on (so as to try not to lose important data), and loading the operating system, I was finally able to get to a command window on the original drive and delete the offending application. Wa-La! Magic happened and everything was mostly happy in computer land once again.

I think my son has given up on PC and is ready for Mac. Can't say I blame him. My wife's mac laptop has given me the least problems of any of the five computers we have (six if counting my parents PC).
I'm thinking I'm about ready to scrap Windows for Linux. Nobody writes viruses to exploit Linux, mostly because, well you just pretty well can't. Since Macs run on a variant of Linux with the Mac OS built on top, they are pretty secure and the need for Symantec (aka Norton), or McAfee, or any other such anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware stuff is mostly unneeded which is sounding REALLY appealing after this past week. And guess what: the Linux operating system is free! No upgrades that cost $100 - 200 every couple years.

Ok, I'm done with my Linux commercial for now, but I am expecting that after my daughter's high school graduation and all the relatives go home, I am going to be installing a new OS on my computer and testing it out. I'll post more about it after seeing how that goes.

So in honor of tigger... TTFN!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE Tigger

kinda got some of that computer stuff ... so basically ... buy a mac and not a pc ... do not get norton ... fluff is bad

did i get it right?

so, you can change to mac without changing computers?

Kerry Krycho said...

Uh, no, unfortunately, you do have to buy a new computer. David can change his operating system from what it is (I'm not computer-literate) to Linux.

I do love my Mac and it is so intuitive that a technophobe like me can manage most stuff on it pretty easily. I am laughing a great deal these days as my PC guys who poo-pooed my Mac just 4 years ago when I bought it are now going to Macs themselves. What's the saying,"he who laughs last ..." :D

Blessed son of the King said...

I know this blog has a bit of techno-speak - Sorry.

Ame, You can change to Linux without changing computers. There are flavors of Linux that have windows interfaces that are like a cross between the WindowsXP and MacOS, but safer. I have not installed it on one of my PCs yet, so I cannot yet say how painful or painless that process is.

Because of the recent changes in hardware that the new Macs are supporting, I am waiting for the day, probably not in the too distant future that one will be able to just install MacOS on any PC... That will provide some glorious competition for Microsoft.

Songbird said...

Interesting post. This makes me want to say, "Thank God for my laptop" , not trying to brag ;P. Good luck with the computer stuff :)

Ame said...

Hummm ... well ... I could memorize this and *sound* like I know what I'm talking about ... OR I could just remember who has the information when I need it!!!!!!!