Sunday, April 8, 2007

In the Workplace

Friday was a tough day in our office. The funding for our contract ended. About a dozen people were laid off. Almost half of the people released were among those who had gathered with us this week to pray. The younger man I shared an office with was among those released. I was not.

I have to trust my God and believe that His plan is perfect because He is perfect. We prayed that no matter what the outcome was He would be glorified in it. I know He will.

It may be difficult for those who are now having to find new jobs to see God's goodness and mercy in this time, but I know His hand is upon them. In Jeremiah 29:11, God says "For I know the plans that I have for you, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB) I trust in my God for them and for their welfare and their provision. God remains Jehovah Jireh [God the Provider] regardless of what the circumstances look like.
I was prepared in my heart to accept it if I were one of those released, because I know the testimony my God has established in me concerning His faithfulness to provide. He has always taken care of us. This job is an instrument in God's hand to provide for our financial means. Maybe it is His desire for some of these others to learn what He has already taught me. I don't know. I cannot see all of God's plans. Sometimes I think I wish I could, but I know they are more than I am capable of understanding. So then I must trust Him as my Father, just as my children trust me as their father, that I would not lead them to harm, but only to that which is good for them. If I being inherently evil by nature desire to give that which is good to my children, how much more is God who is purely good by nature able and desirous to give that which is good to His children.

John, Amy, Mike, Jessica, and Bryan, I lift you up before our Father who you are His children and knows your needs. I am grateful that You know the Father and know that He will take care of you. I pray for you that God will provide the next job for you quickly.
For the others that I don't know if they know you Father, I pray for You reveal Yourself to them in only the way Your Holy Spirit can. You are the self-revealing God, so I ask You to reveal Yourself and I thank You for doing so. I ask for them also that you provide employment for them so that they may be able to provide for their families. You are gracious God.
I also thank You for those of us You have chosen to remain. Thank You for the opportunities to be bold and proclaim our faith in You this past week. I believe it was only the foundation for that which is yet to come. Thank You for Your salvation to many more in our workplace and for the testimony You have established to be proclaimed through us whom You have planted there for this season. Thank You that I can ask You Father in the name of Jesus Your Son. Amen.

1 comment:

Chris Krycho said...

Amen. I've praying for and with you these last days. Thanks for your heart for your coworkers, and for your example of trusting in God. It's a blessing and an encouragement to me. I love you!