Monday, April 16, 2007

Riding Uphill Into the Wind

Last summer I took up mountain biking for exercise. Well, to be more specific I took up riding a mountain bike and attempted to take up mountain biking. There is a difference. Anyone that can ride a bicycle can ride a mountain bike. Not just anyone can mountain bike. The latter actually requires some skill, which I used to think I might have.

Anyway, I can easily ride my mountain bike on wide nicely groomed trails which is what I started doing last summer during my lunch times. I figured at 40-something and a desk job, I could use it. Occasionally since then I have endeavored to ride with some guys at work that actually know how to "mountain bike" and that is quite different and really close to being a lot of work, and that is another story for another day.

Today I went out on the wide "easy" trail which heads north from our office building figuring it was going to be an easy ride. But I didn't count on the steady 20+ mph headwind (gusting to 30+ mph) to go with the slightly uphill ride. The five-and-a-half miles that usually takes me 25 minutes, took 35 minutes today and I was gassed. Fortunately the ride back is a slight downhill and today had a great tailwind. :P

I guess the point to all this babbling is that sometimes the ordinary things in our lives can seem long and arduous when things change just a little bit from the usual. Sometimes a storm blows in and we end up heading into the wind and we get tired. The hard part is persevering, but sooner or later the wind changes direction or we change direction and it isn't so difficult any more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i learned in college, when i was in really good shape, that cycling is NOT my thing ... NOT good at that!

my wonderful counselor was giving a presentation to a group of us once and said, "I was looking for *another* form of aerobic excercise and decided to take up mountain biking as something I can also do with my (college age) son." I have no idea what his point was or anything else he said ... but the man is in and has always been in unbelievable shape - and he's ten years older than i. puts me to shame ;(